The poll found that 26% of respondents have a very positive or somewhat positive view of Cheney, up eight points from April. Meanwhile, it found that the GOP overall is viewed very or somewhat positively by only 25%, down four points from April.
Wasn’t there a time when the only American more despised than Dick turned out to be Paris Hilton? In March 2006, the Washington Post noted that Cheney was polling at whopping 18% approval rating. Comparing that level of dislike – the Post decided to note people in the news that had higher approvals. Crunching the numbers, they found that Dick Cheney was:
- Less popular than singer Michael Jackson , bedmate of little boys and world-class screwball. One in four Americans — 25 percent — told Gallup polltakers last June they were still Jackson fans after the onetime King of Pop was found not guilty of child molesting.
- Less popular than former football star O.J. Simpson was after his arrest and trial for murdering his estranged wife and her companion. Three in 10 — 29 percent — of all Americans had a favorable view of Simpson in an October, 1995 Gallup poll.
- Less popular with Americans than Joseph Stalin is with Russians. In 2003, fully 20 percent said Stalin, blamed for millions of deaths in the former Soviet Union during the 1930s and 1940s, was a “wise and humane” leader. Thirty-one percent also said they wouldn’t object if Uncle Joe came back to rule again, according to surveys conducted by Russian pollsters.
- Much less popular than former Vice President Spiro Agnew in his final days in office. Forty-five percent approved of the job that Agnew was doing as President Richard Nixon’s veep in a Gallup Poll conducted in August 1973, little more than a month before Agnew resigned and pleaded no contest to a criminal tax evasion charge arising from a bribery investigation.
- Far less popular than former New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey days after he announced in August 2004 that he had engaged in an extramarital affair with a man and would resign. His job approval rating bumped from 43 to 45 percent.
- But take heart, Dick. About 35 percent of those interviewed by the CBS poll didn’t offer an opinion of you. Perhaps some of your supporters were shy. And other polls released later in the week pegged your popularity considerably higher.
- Besides, even at 18 percent you’re not the least popular public figure in America. You’re slightly better liked than that fabulously blond and brainless party girl Paris Hilton. She was viewed favorably last June by 15 percent of the public, according to Gallup.
Pray tell – when does the GOP realize that they’re going the way of the pteredactyl and the Whig Party?!
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: Dick Cheney (Vice President), GOP, GOP Disease, Greg Sargent, James McGreevey (Gov. New Jersey), Joseph Stalin, Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, Paris Hilton, poll numbers, Richard Nixon (R-Crook), Spiro Agnew |