On July 26th, just weeks before the DNC would meet in Denver, Jim Adkisson of Knoxville, TN walk into the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Chuch, pulled out a shotgun from a guitar case and opened fire on the congregation while the children were performing “Annie” on the stage. Admittedly, the man was poor – about to lose his food stamps, but he was a hard-nose Repbulican . While firing off his shotgun killing two members of the congregation and injuring a half-dozen others, he vented his hatred towards “liberals” and “the gays”.
A four-page letter found in Jim D. Adkisson’s small SUV indicated he intentionally targeted the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church because, the police chief said, “he hated the liberal movement” and was upset with “liberals in general as well as gays.”
Following the attack, the police slipped to the media a letter written by Adkisson who…:
indicated … that he expected to be in there (the church) shooting people until the police arrived and that he fully expected to be killed by the responding police,” Owen said. “He certainly intended to take a lot of casualties.”
In other words: Adkisson was hoping to be a martyr for the Republican Party. (A photo blog of the incident, including those who were murdered can be seen here. It’s tragic and horrifying — but only if you insist…)
The following day, the police searched Adkisson’s home only to find the latest copies of Republican pundits, all of whom call for the killing of liberals and gays.
Inside the house, officers found ‘Liberalism is a Mental Health Disorder’ by radio talk show host Michael Savage, ‘Let Freedom Ring’ by talk show host Sean Hannity, and ‘The O’Reilly Factor,’ by television talk show host Bill O’Reilly.”
Two weeks after the Tennessee shooting, a man walked into the Arkansas DNC Party’s state headquarters in Little Rock and fired three shots killing Arkansas DNC Chair Bill Gwatney. Gwatney died at the ripe old age of 48. Unlike Adkisson, the gunman did not survive — the police simply thinned him from the herd.
Since the November elections, terrorism and terroristic plots have come to an all time high. In Tennessee, police arrested two Republicans plotting to kill school children, as well as President-elect Barack Obama.
While the allegations of the plot might seem too weird and half-crazed to ever succeed, these two gun-toting men wanted to shoot and decapitate fellow Americans, even children, expecting to die in the process of an act that qualifies as terrorism.
These stories from Republicans aren’t new. In October 2006, popular talk show host Melanie Morgan who’s a regular on Fox News and MSNBC complained about the New York Times Editor in Chief, Bill Keller by saying:
“If he were to be tried and convicted of treason, yes, I would have no problem with him being sent to the gas chamber,” Morgan told the San Francisco Chronicle.
The right-wing pundit Ann Coulter, never to be outdone, opined in her syndicated column, “I prefer a firing squad, but I’m open to a debate on the method of execution.”
But since the elections, local small towns have seen a much larger rise in these kinds of activities.
Away from the spotlight, many local newspapers around the country have covered recent incidents of racially motivated reactions to last week’s election, from flags hung upside-down to the dangling of nooses and cross burnings. As we noted last week, a couple in northern New Jersey who had an Obama sign on their front lawn woke up to find the charred remains of a cross. Local residents today announced a “unity march” to protest the still-unsolved incident.
A bullet-by-bullet (if you’d pardon the horrible pun) lists a handful of these activities.
● The Associated Press revealed today, “Police on eastern Long Island are investigating reports that more than a dozen cars were spray painted with racist graffiti, reportedly including a message targeting President-elect Barack Obama. The graffiti included racist slurs and sexually graphic references. At least one resident in the quiet Mastic neighborhood told Newsday her son’s car was scribbled with a message threatening to kill Obama.”
● Parents in Rexburg, Idaho, contacted school officials this week after they learned that 2nd and 3rd graders on a school bus were chanting, “Assasssinate Obama!”
● Employees at Hampel’s Key and Lockshop in Traverse City, Michigan, flew an American flag upside down last Wednesday protesting of the new president-elect, the Traverse City Record-Eagle reported. One worker used a racial slur during an interview with the Record-Eagle: “(The inverted flag is) an international signal for distress and we feel our country is in distress because the n—– got in,” said Hampel’s employee Rod Nyland, who later apologized for the comment, according to the Record-Eagle.
● Also in Michigan, in Midland, a man dressed in full Ku Klux Klan regalia walked around toting a handgun and waving an American flag. Initially denying it, the man eventually admitted to police that the display was a reaction to the Obama victory. “[The man] had a concealed weapon permit and was walking up and down the sidewalk in front of a vehicle dealership while some motorists shouted obscenities at him and others shouted accolades,” police told The Saginaw News.
● One North Carolina man who flew his flag upside-down claimed that voters were racist, electing Obama because of his skin color, according to the Winston-Salem Journal. “The flag is stretched upside-down between two poles in a field, with a black X running from end to end. The X is a reference to the Confederate flag, said flag-owner Tony Heath. It reflects his belief that the Confederate flag has been unfairly targeted for protest by people trying to be politically correct,” the Journal reported.
● In Pennsylvania, an interracial couple in Apolacon Township discovered the remains of a burned cross in their front yard. “The couple discovered the remnants of the cross about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday (Nov. 5) when a man knocked at their door. Johnson looked out the front window and noticed charring on the utility pole, then discovered two charred 1-by-3-inch planks, each about 4 feet in length, beneath it,” according to the Star-Gazette. The woman, who is Jewish, lives with her husband, who is black. “The Little Meadows area was the site of KKK rallies several decades ago, and a local woman who worked on Obama’s campaign said Wednesday she heard tales of racist remarks directed at supporters,” the story concludes.
● Just today, two men were arrested there: 19-year-old Forrest Ashcraft and 22-yearold Stephen Barret of Friendsville. They’re charged with ethnic intimidation and trespassing.
● Authorities in Temecula, Calif., found spray-painted graffiti on a city sidewalk containing a swastika and anti-Obama slogan.
● From today’s Los Angeles Times: “Vandals spray-painted swastikas and racial slurs on a house and several cars in Torrance that displayed campaign signs or bumper stickers for President-elect Barack Obama, authorities said Tuesday. The incidents occurred Saturday night in the Hollywood Riviera section of the city, said Sgt. Bernard Anderson. Four separate incidents were reported the next day, he said. No arrests have been made.
“At one house, the phrase ‘Go Back to Africa’ was spray-painted across the wall, in addition to a racial epithet on the garage door, Anderson said. Several parked vehicles on the streets were spray-painted with racial slurs, he said.”
● Today, the NAACP called on North Carolina State University to expel four students who spray painted racist messages about Obama. Two of the messages said: “Let’s shoot that (N-word) in the head” and “Hang Obama by a noose.”
● Students at Baylor University woke up on Election Day to a rope tied like a noose hanging from a tree outside of Morrison Hall, according to college newspaper The Lariat: “Later, verbal altercations occurred outside of Penland Residence Hall. A group of Obama supporters were walking around shouting ‘Obama’ and then passed a group of white men outside who made threatening and racist remarks, said Emmanuel Orupabo, Arlington senior,” according to the Lariat.
● Another post-election noose incident happened in Maine. “More than 75 people rallied Sunday against an incident last week in which black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island the day after Barack Obama won the presidential election,” according to the Bangor Daily News. At a high school in Gray, a student was suspended after standing up in class, making a racist comment, and saying Obama should not be president, the News reported. Later that day, graffiti making a similar statement was found in a boys’ restroom.
Republican leadership has done nothing to address this. GOP Leadership is far too busy scratching their heads in Miami trying to find a way to save their party.
Put simply: They’re ignoring all of it.
During the McCain/Palin campaign, both candidates ignored people in the audience who cheered “Kill Him!!” and “Terrorist” when Barack Obama’s name was mentioned.
In Lakeville, MN – McCain stopped one audience member’s fear of Barack Obama and went on to defend his colleague from the United States Senate. McCain’s own audience responded and booed McCain.
Just two days ago (11/10/08), the Secret Service confronted Mr. and Mrs. Obam and explained:
The Secret Service warned the Obama family in mid October that they had seen a dramatic increase in the number of threats against the Democratic candidate, coinciding with Mrs Palin’s attacks.
Michelle Obama, the future First Lady, was so upset that she turned to her friend and campaign adviser Valerie Jarrett and said: “Why would they try to make people hate us?”
The revelations, contained in a Newsweek history of the campaign, are likely to further damage Mrs Palin’s credentials as a future presidential candidate. She is already a frontrunner, with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, to take on Mr Obama in four years time.
Details of the spike in threats to Mr Obama come as a report last week by security and intelligence analysts Stratfor, warned that he is a high risk target for racist gunmen. It concluded: “Two plots to assassinate Obama were broken up during the campaign season, and several more remain under investigation. We would expect federal authorities to uncover many more plots to attack the president that have been hatched by white supremacist ideologues.”
The United States Secret Service fingers Sarah Palin for this increased threat, and yet – the former Vice Presidential candidate has not yet been arrested for coercion. Of course she wouldn’t be arrested. But at a minimum, she could go public and call for an end of the rancor she’s caused!
She won’t. McCain won’t. Nobody in the Republican party will. And with gun sales at an all time high right now, we need to hold the Republican Party responsible for every hair on the heads of every member of the Obama family.
Do I think the average Republican voter has gone rogue…plotting terroristic vendettas against President-elect and Mrs. Obama? That would make me guilty of stereotyping – painting a broad brushstroke to explain a narrowly diverse group of my own fellow Americans. But I am deeply concerned by the frenzy that’s boiling up that’s spotting across the country.
Fox News is no help. Like a bellows in a blacksmith’s shop, Fox News seems to be fanning huge amounts of oxygen across the flames already far too hot to contain. And yet, the Republican Party does nothing.
On October 11th, the Huffington Post reported that Congressman John Lewis, a man who (miraculously) survived the Civil Rights movement of the early sixties, complained about the McCain/Palin campaign:
“As one who was a victim of violence and hate during the height of the Civil Rights Movement, I am deeply disturbed by the negative tone of the McCain-Palin campaign,” Lewis said in a statement. “Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin are sowing the seeds of hatred and division, and there is no need for this hostility in our political discourse.”
“George Wallace never threw a bomb. He never fired a gun, but he created the climate and the conditions that encouraged vicious attacks against innocent Americans who were simply trying to exercise their constitutional rights.”
McCain did nothing. Neither did Palin. Instead of seeing the wisdom (and the horrifying experiences) of Congressman Lewis’ words, McCain simply trotted off and demanded Barack Obama repudiate Congressman Lewis’ remarks.
McCain and Palin both, need to stop this now.
But they won’t. <– Hello! Is anybody listening?!
Hello!! _ _ _ + + + _ _ _
Is there anybody out there?
Filed under: GOP, Uncategorized | Tagged: Ann Coulter, Barack Obama (President-Elect), Baylor University, Bill Gwatney (D-AR Murdered), Bill O'Reilly (Blow-Hard), GOP, GOP 2008 Convention, GOP Disease, Jim Adkisson (R-Murderer Homophobe), John McCain (Senator), Melanie Morgan (R-Hate Monger), Michael Savage (Insane Homophobe), Michelle Obama (D-First Lady), NAACP, racism, Sarah Palin (G-AK) Insane, Sarah Palin (R-Caribou Barbie), Sean "Ick" Hannity, TN Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, Uncategorized | 2 Comments »